PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dreaded SKILLS TEST - any info, etc....
Old 26th Mar 2002, 00:35
Whipping Boy's SATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passed mine today, about 2 1/2 hours ago to be precise!! So here goes,. .. .Went to the club planning on doing some circuits to complete my minimum hours. Did the ccts, walked back in and the CFI asked whether I was up for the test there and then. Anyway, planned a route, checked weathers, NOTAMs, C of G etc and off I went with the examiner. First part was routine nav although the weather was not ideal (6-8kms vis). Found my first turning point (after a MATZ xing) with relative ease. Second leg was OK 'til diversion. At the point of diversion I knew exactly where I was so I entered an orbit until I had my life sorted out; the examiner seemed to like this. Got on track but had a complete brain dump when trying the estimate the time taken to fly 26nm at 86kts ground speed. Luckily I flew the aeroplane first and finally came up with the right answer (in debrief the examiner asked if I had planned to fly half the leg and then double the time taken!!).. .. .We eventually moved onto GH with climbs/descents/stalls etc; this seemed to be quite easy (lots of practice?) Pulled a PFL from nearly 4000ft which didn't help as I had so much time to plan the pattern I became indecisive. Anyway, I eventually went for the 3rd field (number 1 was waterlogged and number 2 had a few wires across it). However, it all seemed to work, including the simulated engine failure after go around. . .. .We the RNAVed back to Denham before doing some ccts. All went fine until I had to go into a low level cct with short field landing after a flapless roll. Consequently, I found myself dropping some flap on climbout (don't know whether this is correct but it worked). I rushed the cct (too tight?) and therefore ended up rather fast on final approach. Nevertheless, I landed on the numbers and stopped in a relatively short distance despite the highish appraoch speed.. .. .Finally, a few type specific questions and that was it.. . . .Over the moon, absolutely knackered, going to the pub!. . . . <small>[ 25 March 2002, 20:37: Message edited by: Whipping Boy's SATCO ]</small>