PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dreaded SKILLS TEST - any info, etc....
Old 24th Mar 2002, 22:52
BEagle

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
There is NO SUCH REQUIREMENT in the PPL Skill Test!! You are responsible for the navigation during the nav section; although you have to carry out a practice diversion during this section, a reasonable examiner will give you a scenario. E.g. "The ground a couple of miles beyond that motorway is obscured by cloud and you can see bad weather ahead. When you are ready, I want you to take me to....(at which point I hand over a page from Pooley's), which is on this area of your map". You then wrestle with sticky pen and map to give me an estimated track and ETA once we set off..... After we've done that, I look after the navigation during the GH phase. It's convenient to get you to fix our position by use of radio navaids either during this diversion or after the 180 deg IF turn, followed by 5 min tracking to or from a beacon, but that shouldn't be anything to concern yourself about! . .. .On the old NFT, you would have been taken off track during the 'operation at minimum level' section, then instructed to climb back up to cruise level, sort out your position and navigate to the next turning point either directly or by returning to the pre-planned track. If any FE is still getting PPL applicants to do that, they shouldn't be!!. . . . <small>[ 24 March 2002, 21:02: Message edited by: BEagle ]</small>