PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dreaded SKILLS TEST - any info, etc....
Old 23rd Mar 2002, 18:19
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle,. .. .Thanks for pointing out the possibility of engine overspeed. Just to clarify - power wasn't used in recovering from a spiral descent. This was used during a controlled, sustained, descending steep turn. Obviously if the manoevre turned into a spiral descent, the correct action would be to cut the power and level the wings to recover.. .. .Also, I'm not necessarily suggesting that this is the way other people should do their steep descending turns. It's not the way I was taught it, and to tell the truth I can't see any reason for doing it this way, except that it made my particular examiner happy!. .. .As for the common weak points, that's pretty interesting. I'd guess that both of the points you mentioned have more to do with training than with the candidates actual ability - particularly so with the navigation method. Surely if you've been taught to draw a line on the chart, calculate heading from track, and calculate estimated time en route, then there's no reason at all to not do this on the day of your test. And once you've done all the hard work (before getting into the aeroplane), it's actually easier to just fly the heading than it is to try to follow the chart as you go.. .. .So it sounds like it's fair to say that, if you've been taught properly, you really have absolutely nothing to worry about, which is good news for everyone!. .. .FFF. .---------