PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dreaded SKILLS TEST - any info, etc....
Old 22nd Mar 2002, 23:14
BEagle

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
As a UK/FE(PPL), I am somewhat alarmed at the suggestion to use 'some' power to recover from a spiral descent. That's a recipe for engine overspeed if ever I heard one...... .. .There are certain other points in your account that raise the eyebrow somewhat, but the Skill Test contains nothing which any applicant should find new to them.. .. .Just get stuck in and enjoy showing how competent you've become - that's really all we want to see! Out of interest, of the 28 JAR/FCL PPL Skill Tests I've conducted, only 1 has been a total fail and 5 have been partial passes. Whilst I'm lucky to have excellent FIs, this shows that the odds on passing are pretty good if you've been properly taught!. .. .Weak points? Not having a rigorous navigation method but relying on track crawling and map reading (not acceptable), poorly executed practice forced landings without power and poor stall recovery with minimum loss of height are the usual ones. . .. .Don't forget that we KNOW you'll be tense and we KNOW that you'll probably make the odd mistake. But if you can demonstrate that you can complete the required exercises SAFELY, you'll be fine!. .. .Very best of luck!!. . . . <small>[ 22 March 2002, 19:26: Message edited by: BEagle ]</small>