PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules inquest.
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2008, 20:43
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
A Statement from a highly esteemed colleague

Press Statement by Squadron Leader Christopher T Seal RAF (Rtd)

24 April 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Press,

CORONER’S INQUEST INTO CRASH OF RAF HERCULES XV179

I am sure you will appreciate that, until Coroner’s Inquest into the crash of RAF Hercules XV 179 is complete, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on any evidence that has been produced to date. However, I would like to make the following short statement:

Firstly, I commend the Coroner and his Official Investigator for the thoroughness of their investigation. I am convinced that no stone will be left unturned in their quest for the truth.

Secondly, and because I feel that up until now the public have not been able to fully appreciate the predicament of our Service aviators, I would like to pay tribute to ALL our Hercules Crews. For many years, and especially since 2001, they have consistently put themselves in harm’s way - at great personal risk. Their bravery and fortitude is in the highest traditions of the Royal Air Force and it was my great privilege to serve with them. In this, of course, I include the crew XV179 and the crews presently ‘on operations’.

Lastly, and most importantly, I wish to make public my admiration and continued support for the relatives and families of those who perished on XV179. Meeting with these deeply courageous and determined people was a humbling and inspiring experience; their steely resolve, inner strength and stoicism are an example to us all. Wherever I am able, I will endeavour to help them in their efforts to ensure that the tragedy of XV179 is not repeated.

Christopher T Seal