PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2008, 20:10
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SFFP

As an Aircraft Captain on 32 Sqn for approx 14 years I flew with many Cpl Stewards (Male & Female) who were essential members of the Crew but had no input unless requested (except in emergency) into the decision making process on the Flight Deck.

JP has been posting regarding an Air Exercise "Invasion" of Sicily in 1954 when he was engaged in a Recce sortie in a Canberra. YOU have taken exception to the decisions that he has stated that he made and berated his Airmanship although you have NO experience of Piloting or Captaincy yourself.

May I point out that during the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943 now fewer than 146 American and 121 British Empire Squadrons were deployed. If only 25% of those were operating at once that would still mean having to avoid (without radar assistance) some 800 aircraft in the event of a low level abort and climb.

The Air Exercise in question in 1954 was based on the experiences of 1943 but also brought the US Navy 6th Fleet Aircraft Carriers into the equation - something that had not been present in 1943.

Finally, if JP will excuse me, may I point out that it would have been entirely possible for JP to have been a 19 year old Spitfire pilot based on Malta in 1943 who became a Recce pilot who took part in this exercise 11 years later at the age of 30.