PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it?
Old 24th Apr 2008, 19:42
A.Agincourt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soggyboxers:
A Agincourt, You don't mean the one on HMS Bulwark in 1968 off Cyprus do you? We were re-embarking the Commando and I was about 3 aircraft behind Dave Dixon, both of us with 105mm pack howitzers underslung. Dave had one engine runaway up and the overspeed trip governor shut it down, just as he was coming to the hover over the deck. He managed to jettison the howitzer and land forward of it on the remaining engine (he was a very skilful pilot even then with his few hours), but it went into ground resonance, the main rotor head came off and killed one bootneck colour sergeant of the deck party, before it hit the side of the bridge and disappeared over the side. Dave and the crewman were unharmed and I think it was later that day, or early the next he was sent off to do DLPs just to restore his confidence.
Thank you, yes that is indeed the incident. I was a passenger in the rear of another aircraft later that morning. We arrived and were met by many glum faces but nobody informed of the incident. I was told a brief outline later.

I think you got the date wrong possibly, I remember it to be in the year 69 but it was a long time ago.

The Beta lights were a favourite gizzit for light fingered pax. Made brilliant map reading tools so I am informed.

I once met a strange bloke in the Thetford area who was to be blunt, a bit of a 'spotter' naw that's too light - he was a manic spotter and he told me that he had a photograph album containing a photo of every Wessex that had been in service. As the story goes, he used to loiter around the military training area in his free time and on one occasion presented the album for inspection to a Sqn Leader from NI. Co-incidentally, this was about the time of a big anniversary?? He told me that he was invited over for the celebrations - by air! But as I say, he was a manic spotter but it would be interesting to know if there was any truth in his claim.

Bes Wishes