PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyopenskies
Thread: Flyopenskies
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2008, 18:57
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah Min Drag

Thanks for the help. As you said:
I am currently flying 757's but am looking to improve my lifestyle and move to France
For you the appeal is obvious.

Just to come back to the IFALPA recruitment ban, as there may be some misunderstanding here:

There doesn't have to be a strike for the ban to serve the purpose for which it is intended. It is not even remotely like 'secondary picketing' (which would be illegal) It is actually designed to demonstrate to potential recruits that employment with OS is the subject of a major industrial dispute. The resolution to this dispute will inevitably involve discussions regarding the future of those pilots that applied, and accepted jobs during the notified ban.

A responsible employer would not put people in such an invidious position.

Nobody can know how those discussions will turn out, but those involved cannot say they were not warned of the potential consequences. They have made their choice.

So 757flyer, don't be so sure that you are sitting fat dumb and happy, and will simply be tagged onto the bottom of our seniority list regardless.

I have no idea what BALPA's reaction will be, but I am absolutely certain that BA are under no doubt as to the quality of people they are recruiting for this venture. There will be many mainline managers who will be aware of the spread of ability of you guys, and will be nervous of allowing blanket access to mainline. We have had recent experience of similar situations.

Like it or not, I strongly suspect that, if the result of this dispute is, OS pilots on the Master Seniority List, BA (not BALPA!) will want to handpick the pilots they wish to continue employing. This is likely to mean successful 'full' mainline interviews for some, and not for others.

Another scenario is that BA will simply start the whole edifice again from scratch, using current mainline pilots! (Very easy to achieve!)

Quite simply, nobody knows!

So in summary, those accepting a job with OS during a recruitment ban, aren't scabs, but they are KNOWINGLY putting themselves in a potentially precarious, and definitely uncertain position!

That's all.