PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor state of UK GA. 'Todays Pilot' Letter.
Old 22nd Mar 2002, 11:50
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
As the employee of two of the bodies "who should be helping to get GA back on it's feet", I'm at best bemused the implication that nobody is trying.. .. .On the other hand, there seems to be a perception here that GA=light aircraft flying training industry, which aint so. Light aircraft training is a small but important part of the industry. But there are also manufacturers (both of whole aircraft and kit), glider, microlight, hang-glider and parachuting schools. Air taxi-operators, executive jet fractionals, etc. From where I'm sitting, MOST of these are doing reasonably well, hampered only by about the same amount of unnecessary red tape as any other small business.. .. .There are a few bizarre points. I do wonder about self improvers in blue jumpers and unnecessary gold bars, I do wonder why so few flying clubs have decent inside loos. I actually don't wonder about poor customer service; most small businesses (which includes flying schools) by people who are enthusiastic about what they do and think that everybody else is equally enthusiastic and understanding of its foibles. This particular deficiency is common across the UK, just try hiring a builder, removal van, etc. Doesn't make it excusable, but I don't think that it's peculiar to aviation.. .. .G