PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor state of UK GA. 'Todays Pilot' Letter.
Old 21st Mar 2002, 23:40
BRL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Poor state of UK GA. 'Todays Pilot' Letter.

Check this out from Todays Pilot issue 18. . .Dear Sir, I have recently returned to the UK having been living in the US for the last few years and am absolutely flabbergasted at the state of GA in this country. During the last few weeks I have visited several airfields with a view to converting my FAA CPL to a UK PPL. To say that i have been totally amazed by the amount of apathy shown by all schools I have visited, is a considerable understatement. Don't they want my money? After all, all i am trying to do is give them a considerable amount of cash. I have also been less than impressed with the condition of some of the aeroplanes i have looked, and also staggered by the rental costs. Finally, I have found the level of pretentiousness displayed at some of the flying schools, frankly absurd. At one school i visited, it appeared (judging by the plethora of gold stripes on display) that everyone was a Captain, even the rather spotty youth who answered the phone. What is this nonsense?. .No amount of gold braid will make someone something they arn't, so why pretend otherwise?. .I think that GA in this country needs to take a long, hard look at itself if it is to prosper.. .. .There you go, your comments on this please.?. .. .(Many thanks to Dave Unwin at Todays Pilot for letting me use this letter.)