PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - buffet?
Thread: buffet?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:31
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, SNS3Guppy, continued thanks for indulging in answering my questions.

What I was getting at (actually still well confused about - be glad I don't fly the things! ) was your earlier emphasis / correction on my comment about 'dropping out' of the corner.

Actually let me quote you:
One doesn't simply "drop out" of flight when approaching buffet margins. These are points where adequate warning is given well before adverse conditions occur. An aircraft which is allowed to fly beyond these points by substantial degrees can be brought to a state where adverse flight characteristics can take place.
I took that (wrongly?) to imply that in many modern aircraft, coffin corner was not the 'bandit country' that it once was or still is on more sensitive types.

But perhaps what you are really saying is to pilots of all types capable of getting up there, is that a healthy degree of respect for these numbers is imperative, because they are the numbers, and can be ignored only at peril of untold severe recovery problems (adverse flight characteristics)?

And yes, thanks ChristiaanJ, or maybe no, not quite. I now read that if you are indeed unfortunate or reckless enough to get into the adverse stuff, which includes the buffet itself, then far from 'going away' you'd better expect things to turn violently and shake you by the throat until you win, or die trying?

Or is the onset of buffet a bit like a narrow second chance zone like the onset of stall in a light trainer - not a place you should ever plan to be, but demonstrably recoverable in standard ways within the slightly broadened speed range that includes low speed and high speed buffet?

Which is it SNS3Guppy? Or have I completely lost myself?

Last edited by slip and turn; 24th Apr 2008 at 15:50.