PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it time to ditch JAA?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2001, 20:44
Genghis the Engineer

I accept your point about cross-recognition of licenses. The UK/JAA .v. US IR debate is one that will probably never go away.

However I disagree on medicals. In my opinion the JAR-2 medical is flawed, not because it is too strict, but because it ignores your own medical records. The FCL150 system (used for balloons and microlights) requires a self declaration and a counter signature from your GP. So, not only is it cheaper, it is signed by somebody who has actually read your medical records.

I accept the need for something like the class 1 for a commercial pilot, but if it were up to me, I'd institute the FCL150 for all private pilots, NPPL or not.

Personally I think the JAA has done a lot of good things, JAR-25, 23 and VLA have revolutionised the cost of aircraft certification. The way JAR-22 was raised, but then left to individual countries to decide how to handle was a masterpiece of compromise. But, I think pretty much everybody (certainly everybody I speak to at CAA) has come to the conclusion that it is best kept well away from the operational side of GA. JAR-OPS seems to be heading that way so far as training and private flying is concerned, and quite right too.

JAA headquarters is in Hoofdorp, Netherlands.

G