PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Save Dunsfold Campaign
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2008, 09:30
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save Dunsfold Campaign

A group have got together in a serious way to try to keep the property developers from building 2,600 houses over Dunsfold.

So far the planning applications have been turned down - or that's the tale I've heard & read though Dunsfold Park say not -, but the fear is it's only a matter of time or.

The airfield is still in good condition as such, and would make for instance a superb warbird restoration base!

Most of the hangars are used for bulk storage, with a few of the smaller buildings used by light industry - which seems fair enough.

'Top Gear' shuffle from hangar to hangar as their filming season suits.

Mercedes also use it regularly to teach people how to handle their McLaren wonder-car.

There is also a tiny museum there, manned by 2-3 veterans who were there during the war - they were initially told last year they wouldn't be getting any tickets for the annual 'Wings & Wheels' display ! Later sorted out but wouldn't seem to reflect a good attitude...

Dunsfold is a historic site ( major POW reception, F-86 refurbishment, Skyways, Hunter, Hawk, P1127/Harrier as just the obvious examples ) and also a war grave - there were some nasty accidents when the Dutch operated B-25's from there in WW2.

Moderators, I understand links to websites are frowned upon, so while I will mention it now, if you feel you have to edit it please would anyone who feels like signing up PM me.

http://www.sdpnt.com

Last edited by Double Zero; 3rd May 2008 at 12:28.