PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why all the doom and gloom? also other questions
Old 24th Apr 2008, 08:13
mrcabbage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beeline has it right-'Moaning unfortuanatly is the engineering culture'.
I joined civvy street after doing some time in the RAF. I worked a night shift and couldn't get over the huge pay rise in comparison!
I did work with a bunch of moany old buggers though.
It was BEA versus BOAC, people complaining about the slow erosion of privelidges and general decay of their terms and conditions.
They were actually correct on the latter and it continues to this day.

But we are all individuals and react in different ways-generally the engineers way seems to be a lot of banter and micky taking, but then get on with the job in hand.... which is great.
We all seem to know someone, as we would have worked with them at some stage in the past, or know someone who knows someone we have worked with in the past etc.....
It is a good life if we are able to get on with it and not have to worry about the lack of tools and equipment,poor facilities,poor management or latterly the 'sword of Damocles' hanging over our heads courtesy of the 'Beancounters'.
In a nutshell if you do make a start now and get your head down, you'll certainly not be a pauper in your thirties-but you'll have to be prepared to see a 'slow erosion of your terms and conditions' and fight the instinct to become a moany old bugger. Also be prepared to perhaps have to do some work overseas.
This industry in my opinion is in desperate need of new licenced engineers and you would be most welcome......