PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 55, 65, 75....
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2008, 05:25
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karrupted

You raise a well rehearsed, but nonetheless flawed argument.... perhaps it is you, however, who needs to take a minute to consider...

This is not discriminatory... no one is saying that 55 year old are not capable. Ideed our contract allows for flying beyond 55. This is a contractual matter.

There are plently of people around the world who are employed on term contracts. These term are normally set as a fixed period of days, months, years. Others have their contracts set to terminate at the completion of a task or project. These contracts are the lifeblood of the Banking, Finance, Construction and Entertainment industries to name a few. Moreover, I understand that Courts in both Canada and Germany have taken this view.

My contract happens to have a term determined by my 55 birthday; extendable at the gift of the company. I knew that when I joined; equally I knew that those older than me would leave at 55 and, by way of seniority, I would move up the ladder. I therefore view my contract as not only having obligations to my employers, but my fellow pilots as well.

Should anyone wish to alter that contract.. renegotiate.... but please don't dictate.....