PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - buffet?
Thread: buffet?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 19:16
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNS3Guppy, just wanted to add my praise too - that was beautifully clear imparting of knowledge. Thank you. You are a born communicator. If you write books they'll be bestsellers!

I can see we are all queueing up to ask questions here, but ever since I learned a bit about coffin corner I've wondered how big a deal it is in say a 737NG if you drop out one side or the other inadvertently? Maybe you encounter Clear Air Turbulence unexpectedly while you are up there high riding a jetstream with a range of 30 or 40 knots to play with ...

Is the 737NG forgiving, much like most training aircraft don't bite at the onset of stall?

I remember chatting to some old military guys who flew the heavy rear engined stuff and when they talked of 'coffin corner' they knew they had to go there sometimes but they treated it like real bandit country, because if they dropped out tail heavy, they might never escape from a deep stall (?) which I understood to be a taildown plummet due to the mass of the engines.

How much of a deal is dropping out one side or the other thesedays on modern transport aircraft types?