PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 55, 65, 75....
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 14:56
Karrupted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't you all missing the point?

Maybe I've got this all wrong, but isn't deciding whether someone can do a job based on race, gender, or AGE - discriminatory? If everyone could, for one minute, consider the issue from other than a purely pecuniary one, shouldn't we all support any action that seeks to reduce discrimination?

Let's face it - everyone is checked on a regular basis for competency and fitness to work as a pilot; why should age have anything to do with it? And just because it is 'written in my contract' doesn't justify it.

And the ridiculous thing is that if anyone returned to their domicile (ie almost anywhere except China) they would wholeheartedly endorse the anti-discrimination policies of their homeland.

I am probably dreaming, but I would like the AOA to rise above the petty politicking and endless A vs B crap and actually take a principled stand on this. Age discrimination is wrong and any efforts by CX or the government to reduce or eliminate it should be fully endorsed as a step in the right direction.

Anything less is selfish and backward.