PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 11:26
Flitefone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking aircraft - I doubt it!

Ryanair are due to operate about 175 aircraft this winter. The average fleet utilization of their fleet is 6.8 sectors/day, this equates to a fleet capacity of around 1190 sectors each day this winter.

To 'park 20 aircraft involves reducing the number of sectors by 20 (aircraft) x 6.8 (sectors) this equals 136 sectors per day.

1190 (fleet capacity) -136 (reduction) = 1054 sectors which is still 6 sectors per day per every one of the 175 aircraft!!

I confidently predict that Ryanair will not actually park any aircraft this winter, but will operate a 6 sector day through the winter for each of their 175 aircraft - of course the customary spares will sit on the ground at STN and DUB which they do anyway.

A 6 sector day is still way higher winter utilization than most airlines in Europe, and Ryanair will not have the profit drain of flying loss making routes.

... But Ryanair will have effectively 'parked' 20 aircraft and in the process frightened a lot of airports, suppliers and perhaps even staff into accepting the deals that the airline needs to keep the profits high.

Smart and ruthless airline management as usual. I bet the shareholders will love it.

I wonder what deal BA has negotiated with BAA over T5, they could learn some lessons from Ryanair I suspect.

FF