PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenging First Officers!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 10:50
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Captain`s role is one which is earned by him-/herself by going the ranks. The Captain`s role is one which is to be accepted by his/her crew.

It`s easy for an F/O to become hot`n`high og slow`n`low. This has to do with experience. There are a lot of inputs which add up to the F/Os level of experience. One of them is planning ahead. And a Captain is correct to notify the F/O when things are getting to a point close to not stabilized or exceeding limits of the aircraft.

There are several ways of dealing with this, but upon reaching your stabilized gate, and you`re not stabilized, then the call from the Captain should be "not stabilized - go around". There`s too much emphasis on the committment to land as to the option of a go-around. The stabilized gate is there to safeguard to the landing. The rest is dealt with on the ground during debriefing (yes, there should be a debrief done by the Captain after such an approach).

BTW, I`m an F/O and consider any inputs/debriefings from my Captain to be valuable to my level of experience. It also is a learning experience for when I someday will earn my 4 stripes as well. Much respect to the Captains who debrief their F/Os when something needs debreifing!