PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool 3/2/07
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 09:12
G-ROAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well said Islander 2.

I fly from Blackpool and have done so for the past 30 years. There is no way I would have undertaken that flight since the forecast for the return trip showed no improvement. The aerodrome operating minima for runway 28 is 200ft QFE and I use 250ft.
For runway 10 the minima is 380ft QFE for a NDB/DME approach and for an aircraft with no navaids an SRA approach is a 870ft.

However to attempt this approach I would insist on 3 things:-
1) Suitably equipped aircraft with all navaids required for a precision approach working.
2) IR rated pilot.
3) Pilot is current, having flown frequently in last few weeks in IFR conditions and is comfortable flying an approach down to minima.

If I cannot satisfy myself that all of the above are in place I do not go. Many a time I have been out of practice, having not flown for a few weeks, and I have binned a trip yet on paper I have the IR, have the right equipment on the aircraft but not current enough to satisfy myself that I am 100%.

Would I have let my son, who is a PPL, or anyone under my care attempt a flight like that? Not in a million years. What a tragic accident which shows how a young man can be shoved in a direction he didn't want to go.