PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Build
Thread: Hour Build
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 08:54
Blueskyrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my a good chunk of my hour building in New Jersey. I was lucky as, due to family circumstances, I had free accomodation for the 5 weeks (2+3).

I found a local school who had never really had foreign pilots come over. After lots of e-mails and calls back and forth, I went over and had the time of my life. Located between the NY and Philadelphia zones, it was perfectly placed for some sight-seeing. The flying was epic and managed to see lots and go to many places. Highlights included transiting NY through the Class B along the Hudson at 2,000ft.

The other big bonus that came out of the two trips were the people I met and the friends I made. Real salt of the earth folk with massive experience in all forms of aviation and they took me under their wing. Lovely, lovely people.

I rented a couple of types whilst there - paid about $70ph for a 172 and about $80 for a DA20, and both in great condition.

What I would say to anybody thinking of hour building (or even flying as part of a holiday out there) is to think outside the box. Think about what you'd like to see and where you want to go. The country is so geared up for GA and it was a real pleasure to be there. Hour building is to be enjoyed and the experience you get will help prepare you for the next stage. Don't think of hour building as a chore and a long bimble around the sky simply to get the numbers in the book.