PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making things better for the passenger - Airport Security
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 07:49
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people would agree with the poster that gate security prior to boarding would be preferable but logistically and economically it would be hard to justify. The additional numbers of xray, AMD and analysis equipment would be massive; not to mention the additional staff required to meet this type of system or the space restraints in the right location within terminal buildings.

Likewise, having mulitple 'access' points from landside to airside looks good in theory but in practice does not meet the ebb and flow of passenger throughput as effectively as single point operations.

What IS true is that few airports staff their security points as effectively at peak times as they could be. This is not the staff's problem but an airport management issue.

Like many poster here, consistency, or lack of it is what gets people angry.

There will aleways be developments, new equipment (footwear scanners for example) but consistent application will be very difficult to achieve.

One of my main gripes is that we now have layers of legislation in the UK relating to security in aviation and some of it is worthless and of no effect. I would like to see a review involving the DfT, airports, aircraft operators and passenger representation to rationalise the current requirements. I do not think it realistic to have 100% consistency across the globe but if EU, Austral Asia and North America had consistency the rest would probably follow.

Lastly, I don't agree with the poster re the point on items being confiscated. The requirements are very well publicised (I do not necessarily agree with them); both by airlines, airports and other agencies so arriving at an airport these days with liquids, gels etc. is a personal failure and not one of the security requirement. I am sure the poster knows what baggage allowance is acceptable on any given flight and would accept the consequences (even if not willingly) if these are not adhered to and likewise with security restricted items.