PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Days off a month???
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 07:45
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
When that idiot Kelvin Rucksack forced the shotgun wedding of AT and AAR, 'days off' became very rare. Because the demand for AAR was normlly Mon-Fri, but AT could be needed at any time.

Paticularly bad for instructors, since we had to teach AT on established tasks, rather than on 'Trainers' as was once the method.

This meant waiting for a suitable trip to become available, then trying to find some suitably qualified instructors, then wrestle with that abortion called STARS to try to allocate the crew. As well as trying to find people for AAR instruction, because the idiot Rucksack demanded his new policy took effect before all instructors were cross-qualified...

So, after having 8 days off in 3 months with heaven knows how many time zone changes, I found myself knackered and starting to make silly mistakes. Was my Boss sympathetic? Was he hell. So from then on if I found people being required to work for more than 5 consecutive days and/or nights, without a break, I didn't programme them for the following 2. That didn't work for long, because someone else would programme them.

I had my GDT/ODT/CCS/TLA cancelled 5 times at the end of 2003 / early 2003. All because "There's no-one else available".

I share your views, Mr B!!

Some air forces still have that quaint tradition known as 'post route stand-down' or 'crew rest'. Sod all chance of that in the era of overstretch in the RAF.