PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Say NO to 457 visas.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 22:39
breakfastburrito

Location: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone is zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality check

Trubru wote:
Q-link First Officer
x Base Wage $51,100
x Superannuation (9% of base wage) $4,500
x Loss of Licence Insurance $1,750
x Overnight Allowances ($100/night, say 40 nights p.a.) $4,000
x Communication Allowance (p.a.) $500
TOTAL monetary package $61,850
Let go through this. Superannuation, of no monetary value until you are 60 or leave Aust permanently. LOL, no monetary value unless you get sick and lose your medical.
So, reality Base wage $51,100 taxable, $4,500 untaxed
Tax on $51,100 =~$10,700
In your hand $40,400 + $4,500 = $44,900

I find it hard to believe that you could get a rental property anywhere in SYD for less than $350pw, therefore $18,200 pa.

The next thing to realise, is that Aussies earning this type of money with a family don't actually pay any tax. The welfare system effectively rebates the tax. On top of that, they may be eligible for rental assistance to cover most or all of that $350 rent.

Therefore, an Aussie family income of $51,100 & rental assistance, probably nets in excess of $65,000, including government handouts. In Sydney $65K, is a subsistance existance for a family.
Further, Aussies have a medicare card, and pay a small co-payment ($5 I think) to visit the doctor, and hospital treatment is free. Basic medical insurance is around a $1200 per annum.

As a 457 holder, I don't believe you are entitled, to social security, rental assistance or a medicare card. Therefore if you have a wife and a dependant you will have around $26,000 per annum to spend on food, utilities, clothing, car & medical expenses. I believe this would be well below the poverty line for a family. Will your wife be entitled to work? She will need to. Childcare for the little one while she works, thats at least $80 per day per child, if you can get a place.

If you don't believe me, do your own research. Heres a link to Coles Supermarkets online, put in a postcode of 2000, Circular Quay and browse the shopping. Sausages, ~$4.70 Kg, most fruit is around ~$5.00kg.

Check out the rental situation realestate.com rentals in nsw.
Sure, come do your look see. Make sure you acutally go into a supermarket and do a shop for your family and see how far $500 pw goes.
I understand your predicement, however, please realise that you will be netting about 60% of a subsistance existance, locked into your visa sponsor company, paying tax, but without the social security benefits.