PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching.
Thread: Ditching.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2001, 23:56
flybymike

Post Ditching.

With summer (hopefully) approaching, a man's thoughts turn to the possibility of a few more overwater flights than usual and this has set me to thinking about the unthinkable again. It is generally recognised that low wing retractables are a safer ditching bet than high wing fixed gear , but since I fly the latter I am wondering whether any of you contributors have any thoughts or answers to the following questions which gnaw at my subconscious.
What is the real likelihood of surviving physical impact with the water in a fixed gear aircraft?
Will the aircraft flip on to its back ?
Will the resultant disorientation make it a realistic probability of a safe and expeditious exit of pilot and passengers from the aircraft?
If it doesn't flip on to its back then presumably one would have to wait for the aircraft to fill with water before being able to exit, in which case it would be close to sinking anyway (probably would sink in fact with full fuel tanks) Does this leave time to get out , inflate a lifejacket and a liferaft before being sucked down to Davy Jones locker ?
Is it likely that a reasonably fit middle aged man would in any event withstand the thermic shock to the cardio vascular system/heart of bitterly cold uk waters even assuming a successful physical ditching?
Should the liferaft be tied to the aircraft when it might blow away after the aircraft sinks and the line snaps (assuming it does snap) or should it be tied to the pilot where it might snag and hinder successful exit from the aircraft?
Is an immersion suit the answer to many of these questions or even a preferable alternative to a liferaft, or does one wear a lifejacket, immersion suit, carry a dinghy and uncle tom cobbly and all ?
Is it practicable to wear an immersion suit in flight or are they too hot and sweaty ? Has anyone successfully survived a ditching with any thoughts on these questions ?