PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 20:43
Mike744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi WALSue and Nizzengaz/ others,

I felt for you Nizzengaz. My very first lesson last Tuesday went okay, today was my second lesson. I begun to think I may have preferred your cancellation when things started going pearshaped - an accident on the road meant a long delay arriving late at the air club. As luck would have it the lesson was held off by the arrival of some royalty or other. It was about an hour later the instructor told me to go to the PA38 on the apron to do checks and he'll join me later.. guess it was one of those days as I spent what seemed an age just hunting the panel for the vacuum gauge!! the tasks I'd completed on my first lesson okay seemed to go right out the window today
Quite a bit of turbulence after take off (heard comments over the radio about that) but it proved to be a very interesting lesson to brighten my day - the effects of propwash & flight controls at different airspeeds, demo of carb iceing & carb heat plus the CFI switched off the engine for a while just to show me that the plane really did glide, it was very odd staring at a stationary prop
I hope things come together better for my next lesson as I couldn't even taxy in a straight line today (but I'll blame that on the wind...)
I suppose because I'd spent most of my life sailing on ships it's going to take a wee while being used to being in the air.

Mike

Last edited by Mike744; 22nd Apr 2008 at 21:43.