PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool 3/2/07
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 20:26
Knight Paladin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bjorn - I couldn't disagree more about supervision of low hour PPLs. Some flying clubs use a system of "authorisers", notably military flying clubs, as it is clearly based on the military authorisation system. Under this system, someone other than the PIC must authorise each flight, after first satisfying themselves that the flight in question is within the capabilities of the pilot in question and that sufficient planning and preparation has occurred, and that nothing has been overlooked. After more experience has been gained, PPL holders will become "self-authorising", sometimes only in stages - being self authorising for foreign landaways could be a further qualification, for example. Yes, I appreciate that it may seem like extra red tape, and that someone can quite happily buy their own aircraft or rent from a club without such restrictions, but I would strongly suggest that clubs with such a system have a better safety record than those without. Besides the obvious benefits of supervision, it also provides a means of mentoring and developing the abilities of newly qualified PPLs - 45 hours really really isn't very much experience!