PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Language Proficiency Tests
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 20:12
Mach trim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanish level 4 exam

I work for a Spanish 320 operator.

As a result of the Level 4 English we will now be required to have level 4 Spanish within 1 year but have not seen it in writing yet.

Interestingly I have not been Grandfather rights to level 4 in Spanish as has been given out to most. Don't think this is equal.

Happy to improve my Spanish but not sure the DGAC are going about it the right way.

Will be a writing and taking a Spanish level 4 test. There is no syllabus and the Spanish DGAC has yet to write one.

When the idea of ICAO level 4 English was to set and improve the international English standard. Dont see this happening yet as many given grandfather rights, just more red tape and business for the schools.

I was a JAR 1600 English examiner and in my lowly opinion there are a lot of people with Spanish JAA ATPL licenses ( and Spanish controllers ) who do not have the required English standard.

If they would work on improving their English ( as I need to improve my Spanish ) which is the whole idea but grandfather rights kills the whole thing.

More red tape and beaurocrats... A lot will depend on the examiner and his/her interpretation of the level and people will slip through the cracks with the right examiner.

Personally in the future I do see it as a potential way to keep foreign pilots who do not speak level 4 Spanish out of Spain.