PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why all the doom and gloom? also other questions
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 19:28
adriandecleir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why all the doom and gloom? also other questions

Hi ,
Sorry about the long post just want to clear up a few things I am thinking about , if in your spare time you could help it would be really great.

You might see that Ive put up another thread about getting an apprenticeship, I actually misinformed you here as it is only a 2 and a half year apprenticeship that will allow me to be a technician not a licensed engineer. Just some questions, ill try my best not to repeat questions that are probably always being put up,

1:Seeing as Ill only be a technician after 2 and a half years, would it also be possible for me to begin studying now for a license myself? Or would i be going way ahead of myself with absolutely zero experience or knowledge?

2: I'm still a bit clueless about licenses etc, so Im just wondering do I have to rely on a company or college to achieve a license or can this be done independantly(pay for it myself?). I ask because from reading old threads on here , I hear people complaining about not being trained for a B1 etc, and being told it will be years before they do get trained.

Most important question is;

3: Why all the doom and gloom? Is it really a tough underpayed career to be in for the future for any particular reason. I know you cant predict a market but will there be less work available in the future? Are all airlines moving to countries with less payed staff. Its just Ive done alot of reading on forums over the last few days and alot of people seem to really have very negative opinions about the job. Although I admit some of these are dated as far back as 3 or 4 years ago.

At the risk of sounding greedy or snobby I dont want to be broke in my late 30s or 40s,(25 now). Im not talking about a yacht and porsche, just a realistic good standard of living. I am willing to work very hard for it, I dont expect it to be handed on a plate but just dont want alot of study and alot of work experience to be in vein, i.e. turning around at that age and realising I am no better off than I would be if Id stayed as a floor assistant in tescos for 20 years.

Sorry I know this is all a bit negative but I guess Im just looking for reassurance that the job is worth it, both in job satisfaction and money.
Anyway thanks

Last edited by adriandecleir; 22nd Apr 2008 at 19:43.