PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making things better for the passenger - What we pay
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 16:29
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making things better for the passenger - What we pay

I left this bit for last because I knew the general level of response to the previous 4 sections would concentrate on the premise that Economy Class passengers do not pay enough.

Wrong. If anyone is at fault then it is the airlines themselves competing with each other to offer the lowest fares. Of course passengers go for the lowest fares on offer - just as we look for the cheapest petrol or food on supermarket shelves. But buying the cheapest petrol does not mean that it should damage the engine of my car just as the cheapest foods shouldn't damage my health!

All that's needed is a simplification of the fare structure in line with operating one-class aircraft. Charge a standard fare per seat/sector that accurately reflects hull write down or leasing, that covers all operating costs and overheads (excluding fuel).

One variable has to be the cost of fuel. With fuel prices as volatile as they are presently the only solution must be to recalculate the seat/sector fuel cost on a daily basis and add it separately to the standard fare at the time of booking just as the LCC's do now.

But in the end the airline should cover all its costs and make enough on top of that to cover the cost of acquiring new aircraft when that becomes necessary.

As for bonuses to management and shareholders - well, that's their business. To cover things like that let them add as much as the market will stand.

There are lots of other ways to raise income without unduly upsetting passengers.

For a start I have never understood why beverages served on aircraft should be free. Duty Free? Yes. Free of charge? No. They are not free in hotels or on cruise ships so why should they be free on aircraft?

Is it because collecting money is too much of a problem for cabin crews? The Low Cost Carriers don’t seem to have a problem with that.

Paying for drinks will also put some restraints on binge drinking which, in many cases, leads to instances of anti-social behaviour and air rage.

The basic food service (included in the ticket price) can be topped up with paid for value added items.

On most airlines the meals served might not be inspired but they are edible. Provided I am not hounded by cabin staff wishing to get the whole thing over as quickly as possible, I usually quite enjoy my in-flight meal(s) accompanied by a complimentary glass or two of wine. But there are occasions when I would like a little more.

So, why not also offer a priced supplementary menu and wine list from which passengers may select items to supplement or compliment the basic meal or even choose a different meal altogether? I’d go for that!

This could all be arranged on-line during or after the reservation process.

The in-flight entertainment system fitted in most modern passenger aircraft is computer controlled and can therefore be operated in any number of different ways.

Passengers can be offered a movie, music, the moving map and the aircraft exterior cameras for free as usual but with an option to pay for alternative entertainment from the system (music, movies, games etc) and which can be delivered specifically to their seat at times of their choosing. This could be arranged on-line when booking or could be arranged directly with the cabin staff after departure.

And if someone would like the extra comfort of a flat bed to sleep on during an overnight long haul flight then why not offer a few of those as a value added extras as well just as they used to do back in 1950 on the old Pan Am/BOAC Stratocruisers. (see - nothings new)

As for payment, most people carry at least one credit card these days. At the commencement of the flight or during the subsequent service cabin crew can swipe passenger credit cards into a hand held device and open an electronic ‘tab’ for them.

At the same time the credit card can be verified using the aircraft telephone system – either the existing system that is available in the IFE hand controller or (since the technology appears to be in existence now) the same means by which the airlines hope to allow passengers to use their cell phones in flight.

As the passenger purchases beverages or value added items during the flight the charges are automatically added to the ‘tab’.

At the end of the flight the ‘tabs’ can be electronically ‘closed’ and a receipt for the amount spent given to each passenger. The revenue generated is then added to that flights ‘balance sheet’.

And yes, I have seen the spoof airline safety clip that is circulating on YouTube - I think it's very funny.