PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenging First Officers!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 14:49
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although we would never wish to return to the bad old days where the Captain is an infallible God and the F/O a fortunate understudy I do feel that the cockpit gradient is being more and more challenged. Although I am a fairly easy going guy and happy to allow the F/O the opportunity to gain the experience of making command decisions I feel that with a growing number of individuals I am required to be more assertive and to reign them in.

Is it that with this generation a Captain's respect is something that is earned rather than accepted?

It doesn't have to be such a difficult day out. Does it?
Man Flex - I think your comments summarise well what is going on. There have been cultural shifts in society, there is less respect for authority and whilst, like you, one would not want to return to the days of the Captain being "God" some individuals need to bear in mind that he/she is the Captain and that all those on board have to obey all legal commands that are made.

Like you, all I want is a nice day out. In my days as FO (and I did quite a few years in the role) I would not have dared to make a comment such as "I am flying the a/c". I recognised that the granting of any a/c handling was a privilege and not a right!

Thanks to all for some great comments - I like the ASI system!