PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 13:09
RedWhite&Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoff

I had a busy morning flying and have not had a chance to check the RFM supplement, however if my memory serves me right this is covered under Normal Ops, so not in the Limitations section.

The company checklists, both normal and emergency, have been altered.

This has been thought through at a highest level within the company, and a policy developed.

What should us line pilots do? And, why is what we are doing so very, very wrong? I don't see the problem here. Why is it any less safe to do what we are doing or to put it another way, why is it so much safer to do it Agusta's way?

I ask in the light of my own experience where as I said I have seen some very strange electrical goings-on. I have used the windscreen wipers and not been able to turn them off in the normal fashion. Not good for expensive plastic windscreens!

I've nearly fallen foul to the nose wheel re-locking having been unlocked while taxiing. And many more.

My point is that these are just 'simple electrical functions' which now have computerised rocket science driving them. In the old technology a switch was a connection to a power source not a signal to a computer to commence a series of logic functions and finally to remotely operate the bit you wanted. So why not the possibility of a mis-signal to fire the floats, if armed, in flight?

I'm starting to sound like a ludite, and I don't mean to. We are moving in the right direction. But just because it's new doesn't necessarily mean its better and the old way is pants. If there is a remote (10 to the power of nine or whatever) chance of deployment in flight, why not reduce it further by isolating the circuit? If the crew are not in a position to 'arm as required' my feeling is that the floats may not save the day anyway.

I should point out that I am all in favour of AFDS i.e. a suplimentry system to fire the floats once armed by the crew at the apropriate time/speed, should the crew, by that time, be unable to fire them.

I genuinely hope to hear some good counter arguments on this one.

Now Geoffers, you baited your hook well and reeled in a good sized fish. So I will cast a wee tempter back towards you.

When converting guys/girls onto the 139 do you ensure that they have the fwd vent running (heater off) or they have a DV window (tricky in the sim) open when MPOG/HIGE/HOGE in wind speeds less than 25 knts?

Honest answers only now.

Being a limitation we all do it religiously. I don't know why I have to do it, all I do know is that it is bloody chilly in the winter!

All the very best

Red

Last edited by RedWhite&Blue; 22nd Apr 2008 at 18:42.