PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenging First Officers!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 12:14
Man Flex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe that the whole CRM situation has been turned on its head in recent years. I find that I am flying more and more with F/Os who think they are in charge, talk to you as if you're an imbecile and make decisions without seeking consultation or approval. I was taught that CRM involved individuals being gentlemanly and cordial towards each other, respecting each other's status, working together as a team for a common goal. Now I find that CRM encompasses, in some cases, the F/Os fulfilling a need to prove themselves by scoring points against their colleague and continually treading on toes with the pretense that he or she knows better!

Although we would never wish to return to the bad old days where the Captain is an infallible God and the F/O a fortunate understudy I do feel that the cockpit gradient is being more and more challenged. Although I am a fairly easy going guy and happy to allow the F/O the opportunity to gain the experience of making command decisions I feel that with a growing number of individuals I am required to be more assertive and to reign them in.

Is it that with this generation a Captain's respect is something that is earned rather than accepted?

It doesn't have to be such a difficult day out. Does it?