PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trial Flights in SE England
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2002, 13:47
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chickenhawk,. .. .If you're looking for something between a trial lesson and full commitment, take a closer look at White Waltham. They generally start you off with a trial lesson, then they offer you a two-hour package at a highly discounted rate. (Or at least that's the way they did it 2 years ago when I started my PPL - I'm not aware of it having changed.) After 3 hours, you should have enough information to decide if this is what you really want to do.. .. .As for weather, someone mentioned that grass fields get waterlogged, and this is true of many fields. It doesn't seem to be the case at Waltham, though. I don't know the exact details, but apparently there was a drainage system fitted during the 2nd World War to ensure that the field could be used during wet weather. FNG might know more, he's a source of all kinds of uselss aviation information and a Waltham regular!. .. .However, you will find that you won't be able to fly in rain (unless it's extremely light), fog, mist or low clouds (until you get a little further along in your training, when you will be able to fly circuits under reasonably low cloud but won't be able to go away from the the airfield.) Obviously these conditions are far more common during winter than summer. And it will always rain non-stop when you book a week off work to go flying. Or when you're expecting to have a trial lesson, or go solo, or take your first passenger up, or take up that really fit bird from finance, or any other important flight!. .. .FFF. .--------