PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Say NO to 457 visas.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 07:38
airtags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think it's got more to do with the bigger picture of the open skies - level playing field mentality that most governments seem to have acquired.

The whole aviation landscape (pardon the pun) is under some delusion that anyone from anywhere can and should just turn up for the gig - the same goes for operator's certificates. - I'm tired of seeing dispensation after dispensation being granted especially to forgein AOC's and LCC's and then before we knew it all the airlines started using the regulatory environment as a vehcile for cost cutting. (if you need an example look at the stupidity of the Mutual recognition Bill) and of course the nonsensical 'blue sky' (sorry.. those puns again) ideas about 'open deregulated' skies for the Asia-Pacific that came out of APEC.

If we do have not the skills and talent for a particular role then give a suitable applicant the Visa - bit if issueing Visas is just another way of cutting costs then its a myopic, very short term view (and I imagine Centrelink does not have too many suggestions for out of work Capts & F/O's.....)

Alternatively, maybe apply the same principle to pollies and political parties...I wonder how many Labor/Lib local branches would be happy with putting up a few imports.