PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying IFR with VFR licence
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 21:18
dakersg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Whilst on the topic, I have a couple of scenarios I am unsure about and any advice would be very welcome:

Supposing you are a PPL with IMC, and flying a route to a destination in class D airspace with full ATC.

1) You start off flying VFR to the destination with no flight plan filed. Normally you might phone before leaving, call up on the radio in advance, obtain clearance before entering controlled airspace and do a visual circuit - no problem.

However, supposing that along the route, the weather closes in and you need to fly IFR and wish to do an instrument approach using ILS or similar. How would you go about requesting this, or indeed will it necessaryil even e allowed in these circumstances. Would it have been better to file a flight plan before leaving. (OK, best to check the weather first, but it might happen!)

2) This time you know in advance that you are going to fly IFR and do an instrument approach. Should you always file a flight plan before leaving? Is this a requirement, just more efficient, or not really worthwhile - it could just be done whilst in the air? If a flight plan was filed, should you wait for confirmation that clearance will be given, or can this be obtained just by ringing up the ATC before leaving, or can you just assume it will be given? Is there likely to be any problem with doing an instrument approach, other than possibly just being in a hold for a while?

Lots of questions I know, but its all a bit unclear in my head at the moment!