PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - buffet?
Thread: buffet?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2008, 19:03
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to say that anyone here is foolish enough to try it, but I'd still hate to have the impression that exceeding Vmo is no big deal.
That's why I previously specifically stated that one shouldn't exceed that speed. I also specifically pointed out that an airplane can be damaged at speeds well below other design speeds, such as maneuvering speed. Whereas pilots are often instructed that the airframe will experience a stall before design limits are exceeded when full control applications are made below that speed (which in turn is well below Vmo, for example)...it's not true. You can break the airplane at speeds well below Vmo or even Va.

So far as control surfaces go, very specific direction is provided for maintenance purposes that spells out tolerances for play in control runs, positioning of controls, control alignment, and control balance.

If the aircraft is properly maintained, flutter should not be an issue.

If the aircraft is improperly maintained, then all other discussions are immaterial. Excess freeplay in control runs or hinges, etc are items which make the aircraft unairworthy. Any discourse on what might be expected of an unairworthy airplane is pointless. It should be expected not to fly until returned to an airworthy condition in fully compliance with applicable approved publications.