PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it?
Old 21st Apr 2008, 19:01
Bootneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many moons ago a flight of Wessex were due in to pick us up from the bush. A bunch of journalists were watching and filming. As we heard the sound of Wessii approaching we told them to hunker down, and do what we did. No, journos will be journos. How many rocks does it take to smash a Nikon lens?

The junglys were a wonderful sight when you were cold and wet. They were even better at endex. I once saw a very scared crewman at the end of a cold exercise in the med the wessex were lifting bloody artillery guns onto Bulwark all morning while we sat in the freezing cold,.When we eventually got loaded on there was mutiny in the air. The crewie handed out cigarettes, didn't smoke did I!!!

When loading it was advisable to drop your bergen by the door last. It then got loaded first, all the others went on top. My boss was curled up laughing during a night lift as from 3000' the top bergen sailed out of the door to brighten some shepherd's morning. It was only after much whispering and threats when we were dropped off that he realised it was his kit. He had a very cool time of things for a few days, "Share my kit boss? F**k off!".

Turkey 1972/3.

Same trip, warmer day. Rusty 'B' HMS Bulwark.