PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2008, 15:23
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 3 years time, when you are struggling to get a seat in departures, after it takes 20 minutes to clear security, when you're gagging for a cup of tea but can't get it from the woefully slow two options....will you swap the beautifully designed roof for more space and more gates?
The security area is currently working at about 1/4 of its capacity. Ultimately this area can fit at least 6 x-ray machines as opposed to the three currently installed, of which a maximum of 2 are ever used concurrently. When 6 x-ray machines are running full belt and the queues are down the stairs come back to me then. Its not the buildings fault that the operator has chosen not to fully outfit it, is it?

[quote]0. One airbridge (out of action for months), with passengers being "encouraged" to use 3 flights of stairs.[quote]
No one uses the damn thing, blame the airlines for that, not the building.
0. Consequently parents are forced to carry their offspring to the baggage hall because buggies are not being delivered to the airplane steps.
How is this the fault of the airport building itself? Blame Aer Lingus, Sky Handling Partner and Servisair
0. Still a crap setdown area including the V in the road where you turn off for the old terminal.
I agree with you here. The layout is poor and the signage is very bad. There is too many options in to little space, but looks like we're stuck with that now.
Not enough seating airside, with queues blocking passageways especially at gates 4, 5 and 6.
Again I totally agree with you here. I think there was a lot of space lost in this area as a result of cost cutting by Aer Rianta. However, by reorganizing the seating and queueing areas I think things could be significantly improved. Compared to the likes of LGW, STN or even Pier D there is not marked deficit of seating, certainly though if the terminal was processing anything like 5 million passengers a year things would be very busy.

I also agree about the retail and food options. The only way there is going to be room for more is to build above the dutyfree/resturant/lounge/security and airside bar area. I understand the originally planned steel was not used so this might be difficult, but should still be possible. To maintain the current footprint its the only way, and probably the cheapest too.

I think ORK has as fine a passenger experience as you will find anywhere, if it was not, I'd say so. No airport is perfect and ORK defiantly has flaws, but a lot of them could be ironed out if the CAA made fairly superficial changes to the security screening area and redesigned the seating and barrier arrangement around the gates.

Oh, and Joe.....don't let the door hit you on the way out. Who might be in a position to replace him? I nominate TTT

Brian.