Old 21st Apr 2008, 12:36
Skipping Classes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320 Eng Start Fault - Engine Egt Overlimit

Gentlemen,

Yesterday we had an engine 2 start fault with the following ECAM:

ENG 2 START FAULT
ENG 2 EGT OVERLIMIT

We called the maintenance and after quite a long telephone call we found out that the T5 was 417 degrees C during the engine start (aids - fadec 2 a - troubleshooting etc) and that the hard limit is 423 degrees C. So we could do a manual start and go, however, according to the maintenance if the T5 temperature was above 423 the aircraft would be grounded for a boroscope inspection.

When I read FCOM3 Abnormal Procedures regarding this particular ECAM warning I do not see a clear requirement for any investigation/maintenance action after EGT OVERLIMIT during start. In fact it says that you should/could try a manual start right after the starter has cooled down.

In this situation, do I assume that a more severe ECAM warning would be displayed if the T5 has exceeded 423 degrees C?

Or are you required to call maintenance every time you see START FAULT EGT OVERLIMIT during the start? (Obviously the T5 limit could be different for different engines)

This problem has caused us a major delay with disembarking the passengers etc and a number of flights being late in turn while in the end all we had to do is a manual start if we knew the T5 limit beforehand.

Please share your opinion.

SC