PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oban Airport to become Highlands and Islands hub?
Old 31st Aug 2001, 17:23
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IslandAir, yes, I fly into Scotland very regularly. There aren't many Scottish airports I don't know. I'm pretty familiar with the terrain, having logged quite a collection of Munros and I'm also well acquainted with the climatology. Ditto the scenery, the people, the national dress (I wear Gordon tartan) and the whisky.

I suggest that you remove your head from wherever it's been lately, remove your rose-coloured specs and examine the business opportunities available. What will Oban offer that PIK/EDI/GLA/INV don't? Who will be the customers? What would they be prepared to pay? What sort of service would they require? Is most of the business likely to use an air service rather than ferry/road/bridge?

I have to say that it doesn't sound in the least as if you are a pilot. You don't appear to have the slightest idea of the operational difficulties of offering a scheduled service in and out of somewhere like Oban.

As far as the local politics are concerned, I shall bow to the Guv's apparently intimate knowledge.

There are many very knowledgable people here. You would be well advised to listen to them rather than dismiss their experience and claim that all the objections are irrelevant.