PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westjet medical requirements
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2008, 00:16
flaps2billion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was surprised when I have logged onto Westjet website after couple of years and find out that they have copied Air Canada regarding the "extra" medical they require for you to pass and join them as a pilot.
Very brave from them considering the fact that they are kind off low cost (but Canadian way) and that they;despite the fact that you can not join them as F/O with less than 2500TT, still have guts to slide in their own medical requirements. Copycat thing for sure, but AC can afford it, but can Westjet get away with it?
Being Canadian and seeing both sides of the world Europe and Canada for example, at least guys here in UK have a chance to get a job flying one day in the realistic measurements apart from Canada where you still have to have 800TT to fly a Cessna 185 on floats, personaly insult of intelligence to any pilot,not mentioning the "extra" medical which consists of what???
Anyone?
Thanks

Oh alright.....so it's ok to buy your type rating & fly 737 with 250tt????

I don't want to attack the european way of doings things....but here in Canada, we train airline pilots through experience & not trough simulators/classrooms.
Many young guys go north of 60 & learn to fly in harsh conditons. After 1500-2000 hrs, they go fly Dash 8 commuter work...then maybe the airlines.

2500TT is the mins at WJ, but most newhires have around 3000hrs. WestJet is a good company that pays very well!