PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenging First Officers!
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2008, 00:01
cjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a similar situation and found it quite tricky to deal with. I had only had my command for a few months and it was my first ever real CRM issue. It wasn't as black and white as this situation. It was as if there was zero authority gradient in the cockpit (he was senior f/o and me junior captain). I talked to a senior captain about it and in the end had a chat to him on the ground, basically I said that if i suggested something while operating the a/c he needed to do it unless it compromised safety rather than think about it for ten seconds and decide if he thought it was the best course of action. He was very good about it, we flew together a few times after that and had a good working relationship. I'm still not sure why it happened like it did but it was good to get it sorted, it feels wrong when the authority gradient is dead flat. I think my relaxed approach to authority when we first started flying together had something to do with it, I was aware that he was senior and treated him as such but it seems he took advantage of that a bit, he may have had a heightened awareness that I was a junior captain and felt an added responsibility because of that. Regardless, it worked out well in the end and thankfully it is still my only CRM issue of any consequence.
Personally I would be hesitant to let your situation slide without at least saying to him on the ground " did you think there was any fat built into that approach for an unexpected wind etc?" I'm also unsure I would let it slide in the air either but it is difficult to tell in a forum like this how hot you really were and just how uncomfortable you felt.
Anyway, tricky these ones. Ya can't always be Mr nice guy.