PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swooping RAF Pilot Fined
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 22:37
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snapper1

The organised assembly of more than 1,000 people was an international sporting event attended by many thousands of people – no NOTAM needed – you can see that many clearly enough from a lot higher than 1,000ft

Imagine a hazy but still VMC Saturday morning out of Cambridge many, many years ago. My ex African bush pilot FI tests my power failure landings North of the Field. Pick the biggest, levelest field you can see, says he, and down we go to a rather big field to the East. Vital actions taken and pretend R/T (sorry, RTF) calls made and, stable on the approach, I point out the sparkly lights in our 10 o' clockish. Its the sun reflecting off some greenhouses says he and we descend further. Very soon the sparkly lights resolve into a car park full of very shiny car windscreens in the Newmarket Racecourse car park. " I have control" says he and we lift away as quietly as possible. How many people are gathered on the deck for an un-NOTAMed event isn't always that bloody obvious! Thanks Graham H****r for a very memorable lesson.

OK, this was different as he seems to have deliberately gone for a closer deko at a sporting event. The point I would make, though, is don't assume how obvious it is how many bodies are present beneath you for a single Event.