PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very serious question regarding future employment
Old 20th Apr 2008, 21:18
tony norman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very serious question regarding future employment

Hello all,

I'm more of a reader than a poster so you probably won’t know me.

My history is PPL with class 2, 75 hours and a right leg below knee amputation.

I am booked in for a Class 1 soon, the leg isn’t a problem as I have been cleared for that already. Should I pass, which I hopefully will, I am planning to pursue a career in commercial aviation.

Quite frankly, my wife is worried that I will spend all that money, spend all that time studying and then building hours..... Then have my hopes and love dashed as the airlines will chose an able bodied pilot over me as the choice is in their favour with the amount of trained pilots around.

I know about the disability laws; I know what employers can do and cant do (I was one until one month ago). But what is to stop them saying that someone else with a better CV then me got the job when it was really down to my leg.

I have to be honest, the whole idea has consumed me so much that I didn’t really stop and think about that.

I don’t mind working small carrier, Biz AV, airlines, freight etc as all I want to do is earn a living flying.....

My Question is this.

What do are your thoughts on this matter?

I'd like to canvas a few people on this.

Your comments and questions are welcomed

Thank you