PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do you like flying?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2001, 12:51
SKYYACHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Magical.........forget the physics of why, and just enjoy! pulling off a greaser as the sun is setting after a long cross country that has taken you accross miles of sky. The feeling of humility when you consider what the pioneers achieved. Being a part of an international brotherhood of like minded people. Knowing that you have worked damned hard to keep it all together. The meticulous preflight planning, hours of poring over a hal-mil chart, late into the night with only the odd few bottles of Newkie Brown for company... (I do double check the plans later I add!) budgeting, planning and yet more planning. Anticipation. The whole thing fascinates. Gliding or powered, as long as I get to do it often. Working to always improve my performance and skill.

I agree that Antoine De Saint-Exupery is good, but also suggest that you try "The Cannibal Queen" by Stephen Coonts, "Cloud Cuckooland" by Harald Penrose, "West with the Night" by Beryl Markham, and finally, "Alone in the Sky" by Jean Batten.

Then, like me, consider how much they did, and how much you dont know!

Tailwinds