PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Student Planning Career. Which airline to Become a pilot with?
Old 20th Apr 2008, 13:35
Elbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few points:
  1. GA
    • I did not make the connection between GA and General Aviation. My Mistake.
    • I did however already know what General Aviation is.
  2. KEG:
    • I appreciate you might think you're helping but perhaps you read the thread as an invitation to come and criticise me? E.g.

"The evidence thus far is that the 'professional and can do attitude' is sadly lacking from shortyy."

You know next to nothing about me! I moved out of home to a foreign state to go to University to pursue my dream job, and you think that I lack attitude?? How can you know anything about my attitude toward any aspect of flying??
    • Also I never said anything that even hinted that i assumed it would be easy or that I know anough to get a job in the aviation industry right at this point in time, but thats why im still a STUDENT. I am in the process of learning about things so I will be able to prove myself.
  3. I would have no objections to going the GA route, in fact I'm sure it would be an awesome experience, however to go the GA route you have to have money to get your licence. I have chosen to go through university because i can defer most of the costs. If I don't get the QANTAS cadetship then it is highly likely that I will go GA, but until I get my licences there are not a lot of things I can do about it, though I am doing some gliding at the moment, which is good fun and adds to experience. (QANTAS dont want us to have much experience in powered aircraft for the cadetship as they'll be training us themselves if we get in)
  4. JetFlite - Thanks, I'm not planning on taking anything unnecessary from anyone and I've looked into the REX cadetship but, if I can get in, Qantas is a better alternative for me at the moment, though I've heard roumers of Virgin offering a cadetship similar to that of QANTAS..Does anyone know anything about it?
  5. Morno - I get what you're saying about experience, and I have no objections to going the GA route. I will do whatever it takes to get me into the industry, but as if you would have passed down an opportunity to come out of a 3 year degree with a CPL, ATPL theory and a piece of paper saying you can commit to something for 3 years, and not have to pay anything til later.
  6. That brings me to the last point that I am not in a financial position to be able to go off and pay for flying lessons. I have chosen the UNI route because I can't afford to pay for it myself yet.
Thanks for all those who are being constructive and not unneccessarily critical!

Any advice on particular airlines would be appreciated

Elliot