PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Break-Off" Approach
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 11:31
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasnt in the tower at the time of the airshow but I would always expect the initial instruction to be the standard "Go around, I say again go-around acknowledge" after which any non-standard turns/altitudes would be passed.
I have fed this back to the Twr before... If you call an aircraft to GA and acknowledge, then fine, but please do not expect on it to do anything other than the Std GA. You might be able to pass it subsequent Hdg/Ht instructions, but please don't assume these will be heard / actioned.

When we start a GA, our Mgmt/Manuals dictate a long tirade of actions, calls, acknowledgments. It is very busy, and I know from experience that hearing is the first thing to go, especially unexpected calls e.g. from ATC. With ANR "mono" headsets, you are competing against our intercom (rather than the old style ATC in one ear, verbal comms in the other). I did a GA @ LHR and never heard (nor acknowledged) the subsequent "climb straight ahead"... so did the standard turn. It was only someone in the Ac behind who later told me

I would suggest, as I did in my feedback, that any instructions are passed prior the GA action call, and/or as a "in the event of a GA..."

NoD