PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 20th Apr 2008, 10:44
Grass strip basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread on "terms and endearment" saying Thomsonfly binning 10 aircraft for this season which could be well over 100 trained and experienced crew back on the market.... also EOS scrabbling around to find another £50mn to avoid a "run on the airline" as passengers book elsewhere as they lose confidence that the group will be around in a few months time.

I find the concept of the US bailing us out an interesting one given the US is arguably already in recession and running a huge deficit.. .I would have thought there was a bigger risk of US politics becoming more protectionist given the issues the US economy (and airlines have at the moment).

As for closer to home RBS looking to raise £10bn to plug a hole in its balance sheet. Banks are still struggling to lend... .folks the evidence is building that a low cost, low risk approach to flight training has to be the way forward.

I am also curious by this idea that "private jets" are the way forward and will create thousands of pilot jobs.... if people can't afford to fly with BA they are hardly going to be hiring private jets? And with the credit crunch ongoing I imagine banks willingness to lend against such assets must be somewhat diminished as would companies willingness to buy them..... or am I missing something?