PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LARS, Farnborough
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 08:37
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silenthandover,

I must admit that as much as Farnborough are generally always helpful and always very busy I do feel that quite often they are TOO helpful.

I spend many a day briefing my students as to the facets of FIS and then when working Farnborough they often use R/t phraseology that sounds very similar to a RIS.

Such as "G####, you are identified, traffic similar level passing down your righthand side altitude un-verified, Flight Information Service......."

Now wea are all human and I would suspect if I was sat at the scope, my natural reaction would be to tell pilots what they may not see themselves. Its all part of duty of care etc. However this does semm to breed a culture amoungst us pilots that a FIS is more than it is.

Maybe if LARS units made an uncomfortable stance by NOT telling pilots of other traffic "on radar" etc then it may free you up to give genuine RIS to people that request it?? At least us pilots would then be getting a FIS "as advertised". Don't get me wrong I love all the info - thankyou very very kindly. However it maybe doing more harm than good.

I have noted of late that a much better phrase is being used - "numerous contacts believed to be in your area, altitudes and types unknown". You have provided a FIS by law and got the sphincter contracting of the pilot - at last - THEY LOOK OUT THE WINDOW!